providing Minnesota CE training for AJ, AM, PLT, SSI and RT/RE/RM

Here are some of the questions that can be answered by looking at the rules:  Remember these comments are the opinions of one individual and may not reflect the exact letter of the law. For strict interpretation you should go to our website and look up under links the Department of Labor Laws and rules.

  1. How many hours of continuing education credits do I need? And how much needs to be electrical code.
    A. If you are a licensed PLT you need 16 hours total, a minimum of 4 hours must be code.
  2. Do all of your classes Qualify for CEU's?
    A. Yes, all of our classes are certified by DOLI. Some however are code, others are technical, or rules.
  3. Why doesn't PLT Services offer 2 days in a row so I can get my 16 hours all at once?
    A. Several years ago we started encouraging people to take 8 hours per year. You do not need to wait until your license is about to expire to take your classes. The demand for 2 days in a row just does not warrant the scheduling for 2 days. During the busy months of January, February and March we will try to schedule 2 full days each of those months, in the metro area along with many outstate classes so the opportunity is there.
  4. What is the size of the lettering required on my new truck?
    A. Three inches high ½ inch wide, and they must be in a contrasting color to the vehicle color. The full lettering must be on both sides of the vehicle, front and back is optional.
  5. Where is the best place to get a copy of the Minnesota Rules?
    A. Our website has a complete copy already for you to download or view anytime. Go to Resources and you will find it. 
  6. My employee works for me, I am a PLT who subcontracts to a larger company, his hours of experience that were filed when renewing the registration were denied, why?                                                                                                                                              A. Because he does not work for a licensed Technology Systems Contractor. Further you may not subcontract to another contractor unless you are a licensed contractor. A contractor that contracts to another person must hold their own contractor's License.
  7. I am the only Licensed Tech working for my company, how many techs can be employed, and do work for that company, and am I responsible for all of them?
    A. The answer is cumbersome but here goes, No limit to the number unless they are on a site that requires a personal license and then you must be there with them and you may supervise only three. Yes. You are responsible for all work performed by the registered unlicensed technicians whether you are with them on the job site or not.

Q: I read the statute that calls for licensing and it looks like only licensed PLTs can do work?
A: read the whole thing look at subp 21 it says exemptions from licensing, which includes Registered Unlicensed Techs.

  1. Do I need a permit, or better called a request for inspection for low voltage work?
    A: Yes and No. look at the Licensing and Inspection chart. What kind of work are you Doing? Example: Fire alarm in a 1 or 2 families home, No. Fire alarm in other than a 1 or two family dwelling, Yes Wiring an air conditioner relay that controls the compressor, Yes any class 2 or class three circuit that controls line voltage. Work at the local Auto Body shop? Answer: Yes, if you are working within the confines of the area defined as Hazardous, all Hazardous locations require an inspection and Licensing.
  2. Can a Non Licensed tech do any work at all that requires a license?
    A: yes under direct supervision of a Licensed PLT
  3. Can a company do their own wiring of Phone, Data or audio?
    A: Yes if they are a Registered (Unlicensed) employer who employs a PLT or a Master electrician. They are limited to working on their own property Leased or owned and on their own equipment.
  4. Can I subcontract to someone who has a PLT license?
    A: No they must also have a Contractor's License to perform work in Minnesota, this assures that they have Insurance work comp etc. if not it could come back on you as the one who sold the job.
  5. Is it O.K. for a registered unlicensed tech to terminate fire alarm devices?
    A: Yes, as long as the enclosure does not contain unprotected power and light circuits or it is not in a hazardous location, and then they could if they are directly supervised.
  6. If the responsible PLT for my company leaves unexpectedly what am I required to do?
    A: The company is required to notify the DOLI within 30 days of the replacement PLT or cease and desist doing business that requires a license. Continue to invoice for work already completed and contracting to another licensed company to complete work in progress is acceptable until a replacement is in place and all paperwork completed.
  7. My employee is registered unlicensed and is working in a class 3 classified location with an electrical contractor that we work with regularly. Is it acceptable for that contractor, electrician to supervise my employee?
    A:No! Supervision must be done by someone employed by the same employer.

Q: If I have an employee who is on call on weekends and evenings and drives his personal vehicle to the office to pick up his work truck to go on a call does his personal vehicle need to be marked.
A: No, he is only going to work, the vehicle only needs to be marked if it used in the course of doing work that requires a license.

Q: The state says I have not met my CEU requirements to renew my license. What do I need to do if I think I have?
A: Look at your certificates and see when you took your classes. Were they all after you renewed your current license? Did you duplicate classes? Did you take at least 4 hours of code in the 16 total hours? These are all things we find when people call for help. As a last ditch effort Call us we will try to help.

Q: I am only a registered unlicensed technician, When can I take my exam to become licensed?
A: Only after you have 3 years' experience as a registered tech and working for a licensed contractor, during those three years you must have 2,000 hours each year, doing technical work. Some variations of this apply so look at the website if you have further questions.

  1. If my RT registration is expired what do I need to renew it?
    A. If it is less than 2 years you need to make up the missing CE requirements and pay the late fee, keep in mind if it is expired you cannot work until it is renewed.
  2. If I see a contractor doing work that is not licensed should I do something?
    A. This is a moral dilemma for many. I look at it this way, If they are not Licensed they are probably not insured, they may or may not carry work comp, they may or may not have a bond to protect the customer. As a licensed contractor you carry all this and more, how much does that alone cost you? As a licensed contractor you take 16 hours every 2 years for each licensed Tech and have them off the street not making the company money, while attending class techs are usually getting paid, It costs money to take classes, not only for the class but the travel time, sometimes lodging and meals. Registered unlicensed need 2 hours per year the cost for time and travel also. Not to mention the License Fees the State gets. So should you report them? You decide.
  3. In relation to the raceway fill rules when it applies and when not.
    A. Chapter 9, Table 1 Note (2). Says, That the fill ratio applies to complete conduit or tubing systems, and is not intended to apply to protecting sleeves etc. installed to protect form damage. I have been giving the wrong impression in some of my classes on this topic and was questioned on it so I thought I should look it up and see what the book actually says.
  4. When does the 2023 code come out and when do I have to follow it?
    A. The NEC is published every 3 years and is usually available late the previous year for people to get familiar with it but is not adopted in Minnesota until July 1 of the year of publication and sometimes is delayed longer than that. The 2023 is in its final stages of being accepted, we are waiting for the state to notify us.
  5. I am interested in doing Low Voltage Work, I want to get licensed can I take your Prep class and take the Low voltage Test and get licensed?
    A. The simple fact they call it a low voltage license tells me the person asking the question is not aware of the PLT License. The State rules require 3 years' experience working for a licensed contractor. It is the licensed part that most do not understand and then when I tell them they need to be registered unlicensed in order to count the experience it gets interesting. If you have employee's they must be W2 employee's, they must be registered unlicensed Technicians for the time to count.
  6. Is my Minnesota License good in Wisconsin or the Dakota's?
    A. No, the license is a Minnesota License and you need to check with the licensing authority for the jurisdiction you are planning to work to see what license, if any, is required. In some cases, it will be a city license not a state license.
  7. I am planning to leave my current employer and am the responsible licensed technician; do I need to tell anyone at the state?
    A. Yes you are, Section 3800.3540 Subd. 2 require the responsible person to give both the employer and the state 15 days' notice. The employer has 30 days to replace the individual or cease and desist from doing any work that requires a license.
  8. If an inspector asks for a license or permit, and I do not think I need one how do I tell him, or find out if I need one or not.
    A. Print a copy of the License and inspection chart and have it with you. We have had instances where inspectors have asked for a license where it was not required. Save yourself some time, money and lost productivity by having something in writing from the state to show them.
  9. I know I took classes but they are not showing on the state website as met. What do I need to do?
    A. Look at your certificates for the classes you have taken. Look at the dates make sure they are within the time frame of your current license. Time fly's when you are having fun. Make sure you were not behind during your last license period. If you are still confused, you can call the state but have this information ready when you call. If all else fails call us we will help figure it out if you took your classes from us.
  10. I know an Electrical contractor who wants me to work part time for him, what additional License or registration do I need.
    A. complicated question, first are you going to be doing Technology work? Are you a PLT? If that is the case, you need no additional license or registration. If you are an RT doing Class A Electrical work you need to also register as an RE, registered electrician, and work under direct supervision of a licensed class A electrician, this also applies to a PLT doing class A work. There is much more to this but I think you get the idea. For More specific information about a specific application e-mail me, and I will do my best to help you out.
  11. How do I know if I am duplicating a class or not when registering for additional classes?
    A. Certificates are handed out for every class. This is a State requirement, and the names and course numbers are on every certificate, keep them and review them before registering for additional classes during the same license period.
  12. Can I renew my license as soon as I take my classes?
    A. You may not renew your license until 60 days prior to the expiration date of your current license.
  13. Q. When I take my PLT Exam don't they just cover the industry that I work in, so that is all I need to study?
    No not at all, the exam is on all sections of the code that are applicable to the license, as well as the rules that apply to the Personal license as well as the contractor's license.
  14. What happens to the electrical or technology system contractor license in the event of resignation, termination or separation of responsible master electrician or power-limited technician?
  15. The contractor and responsible master electrician or power limited technician (PLT) are required to immediately notify CCLD upon the termination or separation.  If unable to acquire a replacement of the responsible master electrician or PLT within 30 days of the termination, the contractor’s license is invalid and the contractor must cease performing electrical work and return the license.
  16. What happens to the electrical or technology system contractor license in the event the responsible license holder fails to renew their personal license?
  17. If the responsible master or PLT for the contractor is an employee of the company and fails to renew their license, the contractor has 30 days to secure a properly licensed responsible individual.  If the responsible licensed person is an owner, partner, member, or officer of the company, then the contractor license is immediately invalid and the contractor must cease performing electrical work.  Upon renewal or reinstatement of the master electrician’s or PLT’s license, or acquiring a replacement responsible master electrician or PLT, the contractor may request reinstatement of the license.